CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » planned new cinemas (Page 18)

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Author Topic: planned new cinemas
Jeff Arellano

- posted April 30, 2010 11:01 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try and get some pictures this weekend of the site. I know Jennifer at Montebello. I used to be her manager when she was a staff member at Burbank haha.

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 04, 2010 10:03 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Some images I took this past weekend of the theatre. One stark change is that they removed all the spotlight elements that would distinguished this as a LOEWS, but you can see where they were supposed to go.

This is the entry area, as you can see in the floorplan on the previous page, it is the main lobby area with the concession and box office. Not that they have the AMC logo up already:
 -

This is the side of the building where two streetfront shops hide the theatre:
 -

Finally the theatres are situated above the parking structure entry, this would be theatre 1 on the left, and theatre 3 on the right. Two, which is a larger auditorium, is kinda inbetween the two (see the floorplan):
 -

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 04, 2010 02:30 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Shoot, three posts in a row, sorry Adam. This is unrelated to the AMC Atlantic Times Square 14

Apparently, plans are being worked on for the new AMC Santa Monica 12. This will replace the former Lowes Broadway 4.

There is also a rendering for the building!

http://www.smmirror.com/MainPages/DisplayArticleDetails.asp?eid=12356

quote:
Community members got their first look at the concept plans for a new American Multi-Cinema (AMC) Theater that is being proposed for 1318-1320 Fourth Street at a community meeting on April 12.

AMC wants to build a new theater despite the fact it is already operating two cinema complexes in Downtown Santa Monica because theater attendance in Santa Monica has been dropping. Attendance is down according to city studies due to increased competition from theater complexes in nearby cities and because the city’s cinemas are outdated.

The new AMC proposal is being worked on by AMC in partnership with the Metropolitan Pacific Real Estate Development Co. The conceptual project includes 12 screening auditoriums with IMAX and 3-D capability, a total of 2,167 seats, 2,100 square feet of retail space, and a restaurant/lounge that would be open to theater patrons and the public. Also included would be an atrium, a glass elevator, and outdoor eating areas. AMC’s Design Vice-President Raj Valluri stated that the new theater would be a “flagship location for AMC.”

The project would be sited where Downtown Parking Structure Number 3 is currently located. This structure therefore, would be demolished and result in the loss of 324 parking spaces. Also part of the project would be the reduction of approximately 1,597 theater seats at the AMC’s other two Third Street Promenade locations. This will be done by closing the AMC Broadway 4 and reconfiguring the AMC 7. Santa Monica’s City Council does not want to increase the number of cinema seats in the city dramatically due to traffic congestion concerns.

AMC is seeking to enter into a Development Agreement (DA) with the City of Santa Monica in order to build this project. A DA is agreed to by Santa Monica and a developer when the developer offers the city public benefits in exchange for being permitted to develop their project with parameters (such as height) that are outside of the of the city’s zoning standards.

Two community benefits mentioned at the meeting were the development of a “state-of-the-art entertainment venue to help maintain Downtown’s competitive advantage as a premier local and regional entertainment destination,” and that the project would “enhance pedestrian and visitor activity in the Downtown District, in particular on Fourth Street and during the evening hours.”

Additional potential public benefits are also being proposed by AMC for further discussion. They include having the theater’s auditoriums available for use by community groups, providing public art at the project site or at the existing AMC 7, and implementing a Traffic Demand Management program for AMC employees to reduce vehicle trips.

AMC estimates that construction of the project will cost approximately $30 million and take about 12 months.

The community expressed a number of concerns about the project. Santa Monica resident and real estate attorney Stanley Epstein noted that AMC is a tenant at the Broadway 4 property. Therefore, if the AMC stops leasing it the city will not grant another Conditional Use Permit for a cinema use because the city wants to restrict the number of cinema seats in the city. This in his view will cause the property to be devalued, which could result in litigation by the property owner against the city and the partnership developing the new AMC theater.

Another issue brought up by the residents was the cinema complex would create more traffic and parking problems on 4th Street. Also of concern was that the many amenities this theater would offer could cause it to be more expensive than existing city theaters and result in a loss of affordable theater seating. Others questioned whether the decline in city cinema attendance was the result of other reasons other than the fact that the city theaters are outdated. Lastly, some thought the proposal seemed disconnected from the Third Street Promenade.

This meeting was the first in the float up process for this project. The float up process allows a developer to get feedback from the community and other city bodies on their project before formally applying for a DA with the city.

The Planning Commission will review the project’s conceptual plans on April 21. On May 11 it will be reviewed by the City Council.

Here is another article with a better picture:
http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_site/the_lookout/news/News-2010/April-2010/04_13_2010_AMC_Theater_Plan_Goes_Public.html

quote:
AMC Theater Plan Goes Public

By Jonathan Friedman
Lookout Staff

April 13, 2010 --Community members on Monday evening had their first opportunity to see the plan for a downtown cinema complex that an AMC Entertainment Inc. official said would be a “flagship location” for the company. Several people praised the project during a community meeting at the Ken Edwards Center. But there were critics, including a lawyer who said the project could lead to litigation.

The complex is proposed for a City-owned site on Fourth Street, near Arizona Avenue, currently occupied by a parking structure. The 83,000-square-foot complex would include 12 auditorium theaters with a total of 2,197 seats, 2,100 square feet of retail tenant space and an interior restaurant that would be open to the public.

A four-story-high IMAX theater with 3D capabilities would be included in one auditorium. John Warfel of Metropolitan Pacific Capital, which is partnering with AMC on the project, said in addition to films, the auditoriums could be used for digital concerts and other events.

The box office would be located inside the complex near a non-traditional concession area at which people would select their items, and then bring them to the cashier. In addition to regular movie theater food, items such as “healthy choices” and gourmet popcorn would be offered.

The complex would have reserved seating, with an usher bringing people to their seats. AMC designer Raj Valluri said he wants the facility to attract movie premieres and other major events.
“AMC has a few flagship locations,” Valluri said. “This theater will effectively end up being a flagship location.”

AMC has been in downtown Santa Monica for 20 years with its Santa Monica 7 on the Third Street Promenade. It also operates the Broadway 4. The movie theaters on the Promenade are credited with revitalizing the street and bringing it to its world-class status. Kathleen Rawson, executive director of the Bayside District Corp., said this project could do the same for Fourth Street.

“For years, we’ve been trying and trying to expand the vitality of the district beyond just Third Street … this is really an opportunity, and I think you need to look at it that way,” Rawson said.

Santa Monica’s theaters are considered out of date because they lack the sophistication of cinemas in nearby areas. City officials say this is a major factor in the 30 percent decrease in Santa Monica theater attendance in the past decade. AMC plans to update Santa Monica 7 as part of this project.

Several community members asked questions and gave their input. Much of the discussion involved parking issues. No parking spots are planned for the development, with the idea being that having on-site parking would not encourage people to explore other parts of downtown.

A new parking structure is planned for elsewhere in the City to replace the one slated for demolition. During the construction period when there will be a parking shortage, the plan is to move some monthly downtown parking to an area below the library and the Civic Center structure.

The meeting got heated when attorney Stanley Epstein talked about the Broadway 4. He criticized the staff report for next week’s Planning Commission meeting, at which time the project will also be presented, because it states that the Broadway 4 will close.

A majority of the City Council said in the fall it wanted to close that theater in the interest of keeping down the total number of downtown theater seats because of traffic and parking concerns. AMC came up with a plan in October to end its lease on the property and ensure no future theater operators would rent the space. Epstein said the plan was legally questionable. He complained that he had not gotten a response from the City Attorney’s office after asking about the legal issues five months ago.

The owner of the Broadway 4, Promenade Gateway LLP, only became aware of AMC’s plan last week. It has since hired an attorney to review AMC’s lease. Scott Blake, asset manager for Promenade Gateway, said he wants the space to be used as a movie theater. April, 08 2010 Landlord calls AMC Plan Disturbing

“If this scheme is continued, there will be clear litigation,” Epstein said. “The City will almost certainly lose. Its reputation will go down the tubes. The new theater might be developed depending on the contract it makes. And the City will have a Broadway 4, which will still have 1,100 seats. And (the City) will look like an idiot and possibly be liable for damages as well as an injunction.”

Blake attended the meeting, but he did not speak during public comment. He told The Lookout News after the session that he had been in contact AMC and Metropolitan Pacific Capital recently, and they could be meeting soon.

Because the project would not fit with the City’s regulations in regard to setback and signage rules, a development agreement is required. A development agreement necessitates the developer offer “public benefits.”

Some public benefits that are on the table include making the auditoriums available to community groups and for entertainment and cultural events, displaying public art and creating a transportation demand management program to reduce traffic.

The project must undergo environmental review before going to the Planning Commission and City Council for approval. The California Coastal Commission also has a say. Warfel estimated the permit process would take about 18 months and construction would last approximately one year.

Mike Rivest

- posted May 04, 2010 03:18 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Rivest         Edit/Delete Post 
Montreal, QC:
There are plans to reopen the Ouimetoscope AKA: Canadien, Cinéma Festival as Avant Garde

Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/user/AVANTGARDETHEATRE?feature=mhw5#p/a/u/0/yMY5JKX4aV8

and one more thing: Cote Des Neiges has reopened as CinéStarz

Matthew Lok

- posted May 04, 2010 04:54 PM      Profile for Matthew Lok   Email Matthew Lok         Edit/Delete Post 
Santa Monica, Non Broadway one. I remember walking by it and needing to look inside. : )

(1) If I recall correctly they have a really cool gold color AMC (fiber optic??) sign inside the lobby? Kind of like the blue fiber optic lobby sign at AMC Burbank Media Town Center 8 [SDDS]. All I remember is saying to myself mentally, how cool that thing looked.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 04, 2010 07:05 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
If there's one thing I think I'm tired of reading is press releases about new theatres. Cause when I read "healthy choices" I thought "until nobody wants to buy rice cakes after the first six months and we replace them with KFC Doubledowns." A lot of promises but all it ends up being in the end is another theatre. Unless they're planning on bringing the Fork & Screen to Santa Monica, I don't wanna hear about it.

The AMC Santa Monica 7 was one of their flagships back in the day... and now what is it? Something to replace. And with a 12-screen... let's do the math... 7 Screen AMC + 4 Screen Cineplex Odeon = 11. So basicalllly... they want to update their theatre(s) and consolidate staff and it would be cheaper to do so by building an all new theatre. Sound business idea for AMC but just makes me wonder why they can't take a fresh approach to the existing complexes and make them new again.

Chris Utley

- posted May 05, 2010 08:53 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
The AMC Santa Monica 7 is straight outta the 80's! 7 screens on 2 (or is it 3?) levels. No stadium seating. 2 large auditoriums on the bottom floor... 5 shoeboxes in the rest of the complex. There is literally no way to transform that place to modern standards UNLESS they convert it to a Fork & Screen. If they do, they would have to remove at least 2 screens from the place.

I've never been to the Broadway 4...but it's a former Cineplex Odeon house that was inheirited by Loews/AMC. I'll leave you to imagine the immaculate decor in that place. [Rolling on Floor Laughing]

Mark Campbell

- posted May 05, 2010 03:56 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris - if you have been to any late 80's to early 90's Cineplex Odeon Theatre, then you have been in the Broadway 4. Purple, grey and pink..

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 05, 2010 04:37 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the Broadway have all the nice built in seating areas in the lobby and hallways that Cineplex Odeon loved to install?

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted May 05, 2010 06:20 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
I still like the idea of closing the Broadway 4 and coverting Santa Monica 7 into an 11-plex. Upgraded with IMAX,3-D & stadium seating,of course. or is that the plan? We pretty much can guess the fate of Mann Criterion 6,but what about the Laemmle Monica 4?

Chris Utley

- posted May 06, 2010 09:29 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark: I was being intentionally sarcastic - hence the ROFL icon.

Richard: They're not going to convert the Santa Monica 7 to an 11-plex. They're going to build a brand new theatre a couple of blocks away & convert the Santa Monica 7 into something presumably smaller. The Criterion may stick around. Over in Glendale, the 2 older Mann multiplexes are managing to co-exist with the new (and OVERRATED!) Pacific 18. I expect the same situation in Santa Monica.

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 07, 2010 10:33 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Off the subject: I wonder when the Grove goes Arclight.

Edward Havens

- posted May 07, 2010 11:16 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
The Grove will never go Arclight. It would cheapen the brand to have two Arclight houses a mere 3.5 miles apart. The other two Arclights are over 10 miles apart from the Hollywood house. I predict the next theatre to get the Arclight treatment, based solely on gut feelings due to the distance between other Arclights, will be the Beach Cities 16.

And Chris, the Manns in Glendale (where I worked before going to the Beverly Center) are not managing to co-exist with the Americana. It's a mother----ing bloodbath. Mann has already announced they are leaving the Exchange when the lease expires next May, and I'm sure they'd accept a lease buyout from the owners, if there was anyone willing to take that space.

Chris Utley

- posted May 07, 2010 12:21 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I predict the next theatre to get the Arclight treatment, based solely on gut feelings due to the distance between other Arclights, will be the Beach Cities 16.
YUK! [barf] One of the worst of the modern day stadium theatres in the LA area! I can truly say that I would rather go to Regal LA Live than to see a movie here. This theatre is so bad, even Arclight can't fix it.

quote:
...the Manns in Glendale (where I worked before going to the Beverly Center) are not managing to co-exist with the Americana. It's a mother----ing bloodbath. Mann has already announced they are leaving the Exchange when the lease expires next May, and I'm sure they'd accept a lease buyout from the owners, if there was anyone willing to take that space.

OH! I had no idea! Guess I'd better hurry over to that 4 screener while I still can. I hear it's actually pretty decent in there.

Jeff Arellano

- posted May 07, 2010 12:26 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
The Exchange is the 10 plex in the back on Maryland.
The Marketplace is the 4 plex across from GroveJr.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.